Saturday, September 6, 2008

1. Introduce yourself briefly. Where are you from? Where have you gone to school? What educational plans brought you to the University of Maryland, and what fields of learning or potential majors interest you at this stage in your academic career?

I am from New City, New York which is in Rockland County. It is a suburb of New York City, and is about a half an hour away. I also spend time in Harriman State Park, which is slightly north of Rockland County. My family owns a day camp there so we spend alot of time up there. I graduated from Clarkstown South High School last year. I hope to one day become a pediatrician, so I am currently a Biology major on a pre-med track. 

2. What kinds of writing have you done in high school? At UMD? At another college? Outside of a school setting?

Last year I took Women in Literature and Reading, Writing, and Arguing. I have done one debate, and have written numerous argumentative papers, and all different types of papers based on books we read in class. I enjoy writing so every once and awhile I will freelance write. This is my first English class at UMD and I have never taken a college writing class before. 

3. What steps do you usually follow when you write a paper? Do you outline? Revise? Compose on a word processor? What part of the writing process do you find easiest? What part do you find hardest?

When I write papers, I have to be organized. I do everything in steps. Outlining is key and I am terrible at grammar so I usually revise my papers 100 times. I find that using a diverse vocabulary is the easiest part of writing, and proofreading is by far the hardest part. I always type my papers on a computer because re-writing them until they are perfect would take forever. 

4. What kind of writing has given you the most satisfaction?
I enjoy free lance writing when I get to pick the topic; however, I did do a debate last year that I thought was intriguing and surprisingly I received a very good grade on it even though it was my first time doing one. 

5. What is the longest or most challenging paper you have ever had to write? How did you go about preparing and writing it? What did you learn about writing from that experience?
In sixth grade they made us write a ten page paper about a topic of our choice. It wasn't necessarily hard, but it was the first time I had to write a truly long paper. I did everything in steps and stayed organized so it was not impossible. The teachers also helped us out a little bit since we were so young. I learned that I can write ALOT, more than you would expect and that writing is fun when you like what you are writing about.

6. What do you remember learning about writing from other courses or other writing experiences that you found useful?
I learned to infuse literary elements into my writing and to use a diverse vocabulary. I also learned not to use baby words and certain words to stay away from in formal writing. 

7. Assess your strengths and weaknesses as a writer. What are you good at? What aspects of your writing are you dissatisfied with?

These questions are beginning to seem a bit repetitive, but I hate the fact that I can not spell or do grammar to save my life. I think my creativity is one of my biggest strengths. I often think of weird, abstract things that no one else thought of. 

8. What part of the writing process do you think you will need the most support with? I will definately need some help in the grammar department.

9. If you had your choice of subjects for a research project, what issues or topics would you like to write about? Hmm. There are tons I would be interested in. Really anything in the science realm would be potentially useful in the future. I also really enjoy sports and love to write about them. 

10. What do you associate with the term argument? How do you feel about taking a course that focuses on argumentation? 
I am thankful that I took a Reading, Writing, and Arguing class my last semester of high school. I think it was a good beginning class and hopefully it has prepared me for this course. I think the term argument means you should be able to persuade someone through use of rhetoric to support your views on a particular issue. 

No comments: